One of our least favorite car troubles to deal with is transmission troubles. In order to prevent it, it’s important to see the signs and know what you’re looking at! So where do our transmission troubles start?
- Torque Converter: This is one place where problems can start. Signs are worn needle bearings and strange noises while driving in gears. You might also have one way clutch failure, which results in lack of power and overheating.
- Faulty Solendid: This causes gear slippage and slow shifting.
- Clutch: On a manual transmission, you could have repeated stalling, sticking and slipping gears.
- Clogged Transmission Filter: This could result in gear slippage, low fluid levels, dirty fluid and/or no movement.
Another important aspect is to look at your transmission fluid. You can tell how your transmission is looking based on looks and smell.
- Clean: This means it’s translucent, a reddish-brown color and no odor. A change should not be necessary at this point.
- Used: This should be a beige/light orange color with a slight burnt odor. A change should be necessary soon.
- Burnt: This should be a black or dark brown color and have a pretty distinct burnt smell. You should change the fluid within a few days.
- Metal Shavings: You may have internal damage at this point and a very distinct burnt smell. Check immediately!
Buying car parts can be expensive; so why not buy used parts that are in the same great condition? That’s what U Wrench It is here for! Visit our inventory for all used car parts, and contact us if you’re looking for a particular part!