You’ve never met a DIY you didn’t try, or at least consider. You change your own oil, pull parts from junk cars, and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty. Home mechanics like you source used auto parts from us all the time, but there’s one thing that many folks overlook: car batteries!
Most of the time when someone sells a junk car, it’s due to an issue they deemed too expensive or inconvenient to fix, not due to a dead battery. That means that there are plenty of cars sitting at U Wrench It that could have a perfectly fine battery just waiting on you to come along and pick it!
- Know what you’re looking for. Consult your car’s manual to find out what voltage and capacity you need.
- Look at your current battery and see which side is negative and which is positive. You’ll need to find a car battery with terminals in the right places in order to connect it.
- Check the battery group size to make sure it will fit properly in your engine compartment. If the battery is the wrong size, it could slide around while you drive and end up damaging something else in your engine.
- Look for better brands. If there are multiple used batteries that will work with your vehicle, take the brands into consideration to help you choose. You’re probably better off going with a well-known, quality battery brand.
- Watch for dates. Sometimes car batteries will have a sticker somewhere indicating when they were sold; often if it’s from a large retailer, the battery will come with a 2 year warranty. If you select a battery that’s still within the warranty period, you may be able to return it to the store if it dies!
No matter what kind of automotive project you’re working on, you’re sure to find useful used auto parts at U Wrench It! Shop online or visit us at our Norcross junkyard to get started.