Do you ever wonder why you have to change your oil as often as you do? Do you wonder if your mechanic is telling the truth about how often you must change your oil? This blog will help answer your biggest questions about changing your oil. At U Wrench It in Atlanta, GA we often see how lack of care for a car’s engine can ruin the life of your car. But you don’t have to rely on pricey professionals to keep your car in great shape. We’ll teach you how to check your oil, what happens if you don’t change it, and the importance of checking and changing your oil.
How Do I Check My Own Oil?
Here is a quick and easy way to check your engine’s oil.
- Make sure your car is completely off.
- Open the hood of your car and locate the dipstick.
- Pull dipstick from slot and wipe off completely with a dry rag.
- Put dipstick back in hole completely and pull back out.
- Observe the oil on the dipstick. Check the color and location of the oil on the end of the dipstick.
- If oil is between the Low and High level then it is good to go.
- It should be light brown in color. If it is extremely dark then you should take it in to get changed.
How Often Should I Get My Oil Changed?
If you don’t want to figure out whether it’s time for an oil change, you can stick to your car’s maintenance timeline. There is a “whichever comes first” rule about when to change your oil. You either change it after 3,000 miles or 3 months after your last oil change. Most oil changing services place a sticker in the top corner of your windshield with a reminder of when to get it changed. If you wait too long to change your oil, your engine will start to accumulate a grungy film that can affect the gas mileage of your car. Not changing your car’s oil can also damage other parts of your engine. New air filters will need to be purchased. Trust us, the price to change your oil is much cheeper than the price to fix the broken pieces.
At U Wrench It we know cars. Have a question about repairing or maintaining your car? Come to us. If your car is in worse shape than you want to deal with, we will buy your car from you. For more information about selling used cars in Atlanta, call and chat with us.