A transmission allows you to move your car backwards and forwards at different speeds. It plays an important role in the way your vehicle runs; because without it, it wouldn’t! When the transmission goes out, it’s often a tragedy, causing hundreds if not thousands of dollars to replace. It’s pretty difficult to determine if you transmission is faulty, as it can fail at any time. However there are a few signs you can be aware of. Because transmission issues overlap with other issues in the car, these symptoms might not always be signs of a faulty transmission; but it’s important to be aware!
- Leaky Transmission Fluid. If you’re parked on a white surface like a concrete driveway, you’ll be able to see if pinkish fluid leaks, which indicates a faulty transmission. It can also be very dark or smell burnt.
- Slipping. If you try to accelerate from a red light and the transition isn’t so smooth, your transmission might be breaking down.
- Surging. If you’re driving your car at a steady speed, you shouldn’t feel any sudden jerks or lunges forward. If so, get this checked out immediately.
- Burning Odor. A burning odor can mean a variety of things, but if it’s fluid leaking from your transmission, get it checked right away! When the fluid breaks down, you can have corrosion which can lead to an overall break down.
- No Transmission Action. If the transition doesn’t engage in any gear, you have a transmission problem.
- Dashboard Lights. Pay attention to your lights! If your check engine light comes on, get it checked out immediately. It might not be a serious problem, but you never know unless you get it checked!