Traveling with pets makes for a fun road trip, but it’s also challenging! It takes a lot more work to think about what your dog needs along the way than what you might need. But we’ve got a few tips that’ll keep those furry friends happy and make your trip a piece of cake!
What To Pack
- Bring the crate! It’s a familiar place to them and will make them feel comforted. It will also keep them contained if you have to suddenly slam on the brakes! Bring a blanket for the crate as well.
- Toys, bones and favorite stuffed animals. They’ll need a way to stay entertained.
- Food. It’s hard to know how dogs will react when stressed with travel; some eat a lot, some don’t eat at all! So pack accordingly.
- A collar and leash. You don’t want the taking off at the pit stop on the highway!
- Air spray. Dogs can stink! Bring a air freshener for stinky moments.
- Plastic bags. Just in case your dog poops in the car, have some bags on hand.
- A small vacuum. Gotta get rid of all that dog hair somehow!
Resting and Overnight
- If you’re taking a long trip, be prepared to stop a lot! Make sure you allow your pet to get a good walk in while you stop. Just like us, they need to stretch their legs and can get just as antsy! And the more they exercise the better they’ll sleep (and the less barking you’ll hear)!
- Keep a collapsible water in the back seat, but keep it small so they’ll stay hydrated but you won’t have to stop a ton.
- There are plenty of pet friendly hotels. Check your route before you leave for accommodating companies.
- Upon arrival, take your dog for a long walk!
- Throw the ball around in the backyard for some play time.
- Take the dog around the house for a tour so they’ll be more familiar with their new surroundings.
We want to know about your best pet adventures! Tell us about your favorite road trips with your dogs in the comments below! If your car needs any new parts before you leave, check out our online inventory. You can also check out our blog for other road trip tips!